A delicious vegan alternative to the classic BLT.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- A few slices of tempeh about 1/3 inches thick
- Selected Greens Lettuce/Spinach/Arugula etc.
- A few slices of avocado
- Your selected bread product
- A baking dish big enough for the tempeh
- Mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar and pour part of the mixture into the baking dish.
- Place the tempeh slices in the dish pouring the rest of the marinade over the tempeh strips. Place the marinading tempeh in the refrigerator for at least and hour.
- When the hour (or more) is up take out the tempeh and start it on a flat pan at medium-high heat. Cook each piece for 2-4 minutes on each side.
- While the tempeh it cooking toast your bread so it is crisp. And mash the avocado with some salt and pepper.
- When the tempeh is done assemble your sandwich and enjoy!
The sandwich was delicious. I used spinach, fresh tomato and sourdough bread. The tempeh was both sweet and salty in excellent balance. It was as if the marinade was magic, the tempeh not only tasted like bacon, it tasted BETTER. I personally will be having many less BLTs and more TLTs.